I would like to start catching snippits of where the girls are and what they are doing each month. I'm not doing a good job of keeping up with in baby books, so maybe I can in this blog.
Hannah continues to be interested, no, obsessed with princesses. Yesterday I friend of hers brought dress-up clothes to the park (complete with wigs). Hannah spent the entire morning running around the park with the fancy dresses and long wigs. At one point I had trouble locating her because she was a blond!
Her other interest is drawing and writing. I think she might have some of her Uncle Jon's talent. Here is one of her drawings. Hannah said this is a princess (are you surprised) and the prince is in the distance. Do you see the pink figure on the right of the page? (You might need to click on the drawing to see it.) I don't think I thought much about creating distance in drawings until, maybe college?
Hannah has started enjoying chapter books. We just finished reading Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder and are just about through CS Lewis' The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. I'm amazed how much she remembers what is going on in the book from chapter to chapter. She asks great questions. Our next book will be one I haven't read yet, but a friend of my just recently published, The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic by Jennifer Trafton. I've heard excellent things about it and look forward to sharing it with Hannah. I don't think I will be able to rotate the reading schedule with Daryl:-).
She continues to be our little social bee. She makes friends with girls really quickly (sometimes the little girl reciprocates). She is enjoying her swimming class and likes to dance in our kitchen. She has the bossiness of a firstborn. She is very concerned with other people following the rules, not necessarily herself, although she doesn't like our disapproval. She tries really hard to please.
Both Hannah and Grace love to help in the kitchen. They both helped Daryl decorate my birthday cake. He had a plan to use candy to create a spring flowers scene, but as you can see, the girls had other plans.
Grace is especially into washing the dishes. As soon as I go anywhere near the kitchen sink, she runs for one of the kitchen chairs and drags it to the sink. When my parent's were here, poppi taught her how to stack the dishes in the dish drainer. She LOVES that job in addition to simply filling cups and bowls with water. If she sees a dirty piece she dumps it into the soapy water.
She isn't much of a talker, at least in words that everyone understands. She does make LOTS of noise, especially when mama steps out of her sight. Around her 18 month birthday, she was primarily saying mama and dada, with "please" as a sign. Since then she is picking up words that we can understand, although we often need to translate for others. Her words include: rock, Hannah, baba (baby), thank you (sign), bath (sign), woowoo (dog), train (sign), and book (boh or uses a sign). She is funny. Today when Daryl was teaching her the sign for yogurt (so she wouldn't SCREAM at us at breakfast), he showed her the sign and just afterwards he scratched his ear. She did the sign, smiled at us and scratched her ear. We laughed, so now she includes the ear scratching when we ask her to "sign" yogurt.
Grace LOVES the slide at the park and will climb the steps and go down over and over again. She likes to run after her sister around the house. She also enjoys "hiding" with mommy when we all play hide and seek. It is hard for her not to giggle when she hears Hannah coming close. She likes to get right in her baby sister's face and yell "BABA." Elizabeth just kind of blinks at her. When we are outside, she gets SO EXCITED when she sees rocks and will often carry one or more rocks around with her on our walks.
It is hard to believe that her hair has finally gotten long enough to put in pigtails. She isn't a big fan of them though. After hearing her sister cry out "ouch ouch" every time I try to comb her hair, Gracie now says ouch if I even approach her hair with a comb. She is definitely entering the stage of 2. She wants to do things herself and is very vocal when we interfere. She is willful and the other day spent 35 minutes in timeout (in 2 minute increments) until she decided it was easier to obey. Sigh... But she is also my snuggly one, as she curls up in my lap with her sleep sack and sucks her thumb. She has finally started to enjoy having books read to her. Poppi encouraged that and now she will sometime sit with us in the morning for 20 minutes, bringing book after book to read.
Elizabeth is growing and changing too. She gained 3 lbs in the last month, but is still 1 and 2 lbs lighter than her sisters at this age. This is a good thing, because it means she will be able to wear her sisters' summer clothes. If she was their size, she would already be outgrowing them. She is sleeping really well at night. She will fall asleep between 8 and 9, get up at 3 and then at 6. Some nights she has skipped that 3 am feeding and awoken up at 5. I always heard of newborns sleeping through the night at 1 or 2 months, but thought it was a myth! I got one (for now)! I've been through this parenting thing long enough to know, nothing is permanent!
She is responding to us talking to her with smiles and coos. She has found her hand and will suck it if mommy is a little slow in providing a meal. I think we might have another thumb sucker in the family. She is rarely fussy and takes many long naps during the day. I'm extremely grateful as my two older girls seem to need a lot more of my attention. We still call her our little owl, because when she is sleeping she sounds like an owl. Unfortunately she seems to have caught two of her sisters colds and it is sad to hear her so congested, yet this too she seems to take in stride.
This picture is of Elizabeth at about 6 weeks or so. Daryl said she reminds him of one of those sock monkeys in this outfit:-).
Well, that's our girls at this time. Each has her own unique personality with her own joys and challenges. We are learning a lot through them and we thank God for each of them!



No comments:
Post a Comment