Wednesday, March 20, 2013

On my bookshelf

 I just finished reading Brene Brown's book The Gifts of Imperfection. Wow, what a breath of fresh air AND a huge challenge for me at the same time. I saw myself over and over again on the pages of her book. I'm still chewing on so much of what she has to say. I found myself asking all kinds of questions of myself and realizing the answers are so a part of the journey of becoming authentically ME!

Here are some of the quotes that struck me:

Authenticity is a collection of choices that we have to make every day. It's about the choice to show up and be real. The choice to be honest. The choice to let our true selves be seen. (p. 49)

Brene challenges her readers to:
  • embrace the courage to be imperfect; to set boundaries to allow ourselves to be vulnerable
  • exercise compassion; realizing that we are all made of strength AND we all struggle
  • nurture connection and belonging AND to believe we are enough.
Mindfully practicing authenticity during our most soul-searching struggles is how we invite grace, joy and gratitute into our lives. (p. 50)

Sometimes choosing being real over being liked is all about playing it unsafe. (p. 52)

I started realizing how much I want to fit in with "the crowd" and wondering how much I've lost of myself in the process. I don't even know what I really like to do anymore.

During my reading of this book and viewing Brene Brown's TED talks (all of which I highly recommend), I came to the realization (one of many) that I spend so much time on the computer because it numbs my feelings of being alone and being afraid to reach out. My journey begins with deactivating my Facebook account and searching out face to face connection. I may update that journey now or perhaps you'll hear about it during one of our face to face conversations:-).

1 comment:

Juliette said...

Good for you! I think online breaks are so important. I was offline a lot last year and it was really *good*. I felt so rejuvenated...and it kinda freaked me out b/c I thought, "if this is how I feel now, what have I become? and what have I missed out on while online?". I could probably go on and on w/this topic, but I think you know what I mean.

Btw-Brene Brown is awesome. You should look into Kristin Ritzau, a graduate of Fuller. She has her own site online (her name) and started abeautifulmess.org based on her book, 'A Beautiful Mess: A Perfectionist's Journey Through Self-Care'. I haven't read the book, but I like her sites (online, again!).

I've found myself online again more often; but it's because work is incredibly slow, especially between semesters. However, I feel much more purposeful and controlled in my online time than I have in the past and I know all those online breaks from last year have helped shape that. I hope your time away now has a similar effect for you! =)