The week began on a Thursday night... a dark and stormy night... literally. It was grocery night and I debated about going on such a windy and rainy night, but I did. When I arrived at the grocery store, the wind was blowing so hard it was difficult to open and close the car door (should have been a sign to go home). I breezed :-) through my shopping list (there were few other people in the store... another sign), loaded the bags into the car and decided to take the long way home in order to see the waves at Good Harbor Beach.
I wasn't the only one there. The water was up so high that anyone taking the footbridge over to the beach would have ended up in the ocean. The waves were crashing on the rocks and I decided it wasn't the best place to be. I made it home, filled the fridge and freezer with the groceries. Not even an hour later, the power goes out. Surely it wouldn't be out for long, I thought, hoping that my newly purchased groceries would be fine.
It is dark, obviously, so Daryl and I decide to head to bed (the girls had already been sleeping for several hours). We crawled into bed and the whole house was shaking from the wind. This house is very well built, but it was literally shaking. We see a couple flashes of light from what we assumed were transformer surges. Ironically, the houses on either side of us still had power, as did the one across the street, as displayed by her Christmas lights! I'm not usually nervous during storms, but this one was making me a little jumpy. About the time Daryl and I finally settled down to go to sleep, Hannah lets out a scream that had us jumping out of bed and running to her room... she was sound asleep.
The next day we still did not have any power. Daryl went in to work. The girls and I set out for the Y where we spent the morning with some friends, who were also without power, followed by lunch at McDonalds. That evening Daryl and I had planned a date night. Our friends were coming to our house to stay with the girls. We were able to rearrange and drop the girls off at their house. We so needed that night out.
Saturday... still no power... we had breakfast out and then spent the morning at the library. When we came home... still no power. We put the girls down for their nap/rest time. Hannah actually fell asleep... we should have known something was up. I went in to wake her up and she had gotten sick all over herself :-(. Yes, the stomach bug had come to our house and we were still without power.
About 2 hours into battling the stomach bug, the lights came back on. I was a bit disoriented when they did, but very thankful that we didn't have to continue the journey through sickness with no lights. The rest of the weekend we were on edge wondering who it would strike next... mommy... Gracie... daddy?
About the time I was going to call us clean and clear, Daryl got the bug and spent 2 days at home from work. All week I was nauseous and expecting to get more sick, but no... I think I can safely say that this round is over and Gracie and I escaped.
In the midst of the Daryl battling stomach bug, Hannah had an appointment with an orthopedist (Daryl stayed home with Grace). The doctor expressed some concern about her ankles and hips, but we are going to pursue a second opinion before we start down the road of physical therapy and orthodics.
Can I say I'm so glad this week is over?
Despite the power and sickness, we have had some fun swimming at the local Y, Hannah dressing up in mommy's bridesmaid dresses (pictures to come), and mommy putting on her wedding dress (all for my princess little girl). My favorite quote from Hannah this week... "mommy, you are BEAUTIFUL!"
2 comments:
oh man, that's a rough week! Glad you all pulled through! We had some crazy storms here in Germany this past week as well; insane winds that actually created a crack in the wall over our fireplace. German houses are made of concrete, so you know it was crazy wind!
Since you are all ok, I just have to know if your groceries made it through??!! ;)
Post a Comment