This past year I've read...
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
This was a powerful true story of survival in the midst of horrific obstacles... plane crashes and POW camps. Hillenbrand is an incredible storyteller.
The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz
This is another true story of survival. I had to keep reminding myself that someone actually walked all the way from Siberia through the Gobi Desert over the Himalayan Mountains into British India. Would I have kept going (or even started) in the face of so many obstacles.
The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Sterns
This book was very thought-provoking. I will need to reread this one to let all of what the author said sink in again. Some of the quotes I wrote down while reading it...
"God's love was intended to be or demonstrated, not dictated. Our job is not to manipulate or induce others to agree with us or to leave their religion and embrace Christianity. Our charge is to both proclaim and embody the gospel so that others can see, hear, and feel God's love in tangible ways." (18)
"The true gospel is a call to self-denial. It is not a call to self-fulfillment." John MacarthurThe Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
I loved the first one, really enjoyed the second one, and thought the third one was ok. I actually enjoy fiction for youth, but haven't picked up much recently because of the current obsession with vampires. I'm so glad I picked up the first book... I can't remember why I did. Daryl even picked it up after me. We went to the movie for our first movie date in I don't know how long.
Prodigal God by Tim Keller
I picked up this book at the last CBD warehouse sale. Dr. Keller is a graduate of Gordon-Conwell and I had the privilege of organizing a conference at which he was a speaker and heard part of this is sermon form. It was good to read... a reminder that God is the one who lavishes love on us... prodigal at its best.
Others... I forgot to mention. No reflection on the quality of the books, (these were all excellent) I'm just not good about remembering what I read.
Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas Kristof
The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba
The Boy No One Loved: A heartbreaking true story of abuse, abandonment and betrayal by Casey Watson
There is No Me without You: One Woman's Odyssey to Rescue Africa's Children by Melissa Fay Greene
No Biking in the House Without a Helmet by Melissa Fay Greene
As I look over the list, I realize I've read a lot this year. I just need to record my thoughts and impressions when I finish, otherwise I forget.
THE KITCHEN HOUSE by Kathleen Grissom
First of all this is one of the most tragic books I've read, because there really isn't much redemption or hope until the very last page. All that being said, it is a gripping piece of Colonial fiction, and another book that provides many points of discussion. I really enjoyed the author's style and felt she made a bygone time period come alive without painting a glossy finish on everything the way Colonial life is typically portrayed. (I don't mind sad stories, or shy away from that sort of thing if I can learn something valuable in the process.) Krista at Cornrows and MeadowsTHOSE WHO SAVE US by Jenna Blum
A frank and deeply unsettling story of Anna, a German woman living in a village bordering a concentration camp, who becomes the mistress of a high-ranking SS officer during WWII in order to save herself and her young daughter Trudy, a child born out of wedlock by a Jewish doctor. In my opinion, while the author did not shy away from detailing the physical abuse Anna suffers from the Ubersturmfuhrer, the manner and purpose in which she wrote was not titillating, but properly disturbing. HOWEVER, this opinion will not be shared by all. I think it all comes down to what your own life experiences have been, (whether anything conjures up memories), how sensitively you respond to issues like sexual abuse, and whether you shy away from dark subjects in general. For me, it generated much thought--philosophical and spiritual contemplation--without violating my conscience. Still, when mentioning this book I always fully disclose the above. Krista at Cornrows and MeadowsHere is the continuation of my list for 2013.
Daring Greatly: How the courage to be vulnerable transforms the way we live, love, parent and lead by Brene Brown
The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown
How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity and the Hidden Power of Character by Paul Tough
A Thousand Resurrections by Maria Garriott
One Thousand Gifts by Ann vos Kamp
When Helping Hurts - How to Alleviate Poverty Without Hurting the Poor and Yourself
Any suggestions? Anyone want to read along?
No comments:
Post a Comment