(Pictures Taken by Hannah or Grace)
You know, it didn't really start out as a bad day. Of course, as my husband put it, we were all sleeping when the day began. I'm not even sure when the day started downhill... I just found myself in the middle of it realizing I was fighting (and losing) staying a float. This was so a "first world problem" kind of day, but for this first world girl... anyway.
I think it started south, when my eldest daughter came downstairs in shorts on a rather brisk morning. I told her that she would probably be very cold wearing those clothes and she (surprisingly) agreed to go back upstairs and put tights on underneath. Not exactly what I had in mind, but it would solve the cold legs problem. Well, the tights she chose are getting on the smaller side, so after her two attempted to get them on, I needed to help. No problem, except for the fact, daughter #2 is also needing help with tights and daughter #3 needs help with breakfast. Deep breath... I can do this. The tights go one, but they don't feel right. Problem.
At this point, the family who walks Hannah to the bus stop was going to be arriving any minute and my daughter is FREAKING OUT about how her clothes feel. I calmly (not) told her she didn't have much time and she needed to do something to fix it. She manages to get upstairs, find another outfit, and get back downstairs... new problem, we can't find her other sneaker AND its gym day! At this point our friends are knocking on the door. I'm running around the house and end up bringing down... wait for it... the dreaded brown shoes! Hannah manages to let me put them on her and even says "mommy, we don't have time to fight about this." Yes, my dear, you are so right.
So off to school, she goes. I'm sure that she is going to have a terrible day, because she hates these shoes. Oh, well. Poor 1st grade teacher... and she has a classful of these little ones!
Meanwhile at home the second two daughters, decide this is not a day to play nicely together. Screaming seems to be the language of choice. We HAVE to get out of here and Target is the destination. That stop went surprisingly well (the travel wasn't so fun, but at least the yelling was a bit softer) and I decided to push my luck at 2 other stores. The last one being the Used Book Superstore. Normally, I love browsing this place. The girls like looking at the books, but they are both feeling a bit, shall we say, testy?!? I'm looking at some of the children's books, when all the sudden I hear "Attention, there is a lost child... Attention, there is a lost child." Smugly I think, I'm so glad my girls are sitting on the couches quietly looking at books... wait... I only see one child, where's Elizabeth? I grab Gracie and run to the front of the store where Elizabeth is wandering the aisles with an employee asking her where her mother is. Yes, she would be mine.
We return to the back of the store, where I put back every book I had gathered, holding Elizabeth firmly on my hip and take Gracie's hand to leave... which she does so quietly. Nope. She starts throwing a fit about wanting a book. We leave the store with her yelling "I want a book! I want a book! I'm going to go back in! I'm going!" What mother denies her child a book!?!? This one. We get to the van and I realize... I don't have my coat (which I probably would have just left) BUT my keys are inside! Yes, I awkwardly go back INTO the store, with a screaming child and my escape artist to find my coat in the far back of the store and leave again just as quietly.
We get to the van, I buckle Elizabeth in and Grace stands outside the van refusing to get in. I get her in the van and go sit in the front seat to wait for her to buckle herself in. I wisely know that I CANNOT get into the back of the van to help her... I am barely staying in control myself. Eventually she does and we head home.
The cell rings as we are going in the door. I have to ignore it, but then the house phone rings with the same number, so I pick it up. Grace proceeds to start yelling and crying, so I send her to her room. The conversation ends... Grace does something that causes me to snatch her up, carry her back to her room, where she cries "I'm sorry! I'm sorry" and in the next breath "I'm just going to do it!" I hold her, trying to calm down myself. I know I just need to get lunch in them.
Lunch is fine. Grace finishes first so I take her upstairs for quiet time. As I'm reading a book to her, I hear Elizabeth say she's done and she gets down. Grace hears her coming up the stairs and shuts the door on her. Elizabeth stands outside the door, crying, when I open it, I hear running water! Elizabeth washed her hands after lunch (yeah her) and left the water running in the bathroom. The sink is full and running over. The floor has water all over it and it take 4 beach towels to mop up the mess.
Rest time cannot come soon enough, but unfortunately that only lasts an hour and a half before we need to get to the bus stop for Hannah. Often the girls just play during the time, but occasionally they will fall asleep. Today I heard them playing, but by the time it was time to go they had just fallen asleep. They were a MESS to wake up! Elizabeth had a dirty diaper and was screaming about not wanting to get up. I managed to get them to the bus stop on time, but Elizabeth is sitting on my lap wailing. One of the grandmothers of Hannah's school mate comes over and wonders if they can have C-H-I-P-S. I was so frazzled I had to have her spell it twice! I said sure and that settled the girls down. We picked Hannah up and headed home.
Hannah was so excited because her friend's mom had figure out a way to make the brown shoes feel better! I think I should send her flowers... Hannah has said she will wear the shoes now!
Our afternoon activity was a walk to Stage Fort Park. That was mostly nice, although Gracie was running and fell on the Boulevard. She reopened her skinned knee and she doesn't handle such scrapes very well. Her screaming brought another lady over with a bandaid. That calmed her down (why don't I pack those wherever I go?), but she proceeded to bang her nose against a friend on the slide (bled some) and skin her other knee on the way home.
I was so grateful to get home to Daryl. He was appropriately sympathetic about the day and proceeded to add to the day with a cut finger of his own (minor, but needed another bandaid). I had forgotten to tell him about the bathroom situation, until our downstairs neighbor came up because they had a wet ceiling. Sigh.
So this week my theme has been "Hope in the Mundane." I definitely had some of that today and Gracie was the one to point it out "Mommy, people were really nice to us today. First chips and then a bandaid."
I would just encourage any of you out there. If you see a frazzled mom, offering those chips or a bandaid or helping her daughter with her shoes may be exactly the hope she needs to make it to bedtime!
1 comment:
Dana, I hate to admit it, but your post really made me laugh. It is so refreshing to know that other moms have those days, too. When I have them I'm always grateful that tomorrow we get a fresh slate to start all over again. Hope your week is going better!
Post a Comment