Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Garden was Planted

Back in March, there was some question about whether or not I would get a garden planted this year. It did happen and we are reaping the rewards... beans, kale, swiss chard, potatoes, strawberries, blueberries (well 7 blueberries), tomatoes, summer squash, cucumbers, basil, thyme, sage, oregano, mint, chocolate mint, peppers... all in a small backyard! The backyard growers program is fabulous... so glad our friends and neighbors jumped on board, and then coached us on how to do it.

Here is the garden in early spring...

I "gave" the girls the side yard to plant. It was quite selfish of me as I took the prime locations. (There, I confessed.) There was a time I had visions of working alongside my girls in the garden, but I got quite possessive of it. Not sure how to help myself relax OR figure out a way to give them some space in the main garden OR just realize that this is my special hobby... part of my "caring" for myself. Anyway, I have all fall and winter before we try again.

 The PRIME spot... good sun, good soil...
 The girls did help me plant impatients along the fence. They have grown beautifully!
 My spider web for growing peas and beans.
 Daryl built these for me when we lived in our other apartment. They did ok on our deck, not well at all in front of the house and fabulous as an herb garden.
 Another look at my spider web.
The stawberries and blueberries... wow... do strawberries go CRAZY. I ripped them out of this bed last fall and they came back like crazy. I've already pulled a lot up again and they still are spreading.
A former toybox was turned into a box for growing potatoes. Later this week, I'll show you our harvest!
So, the garden was planted. I want to take pictures of the garden now and I will post them soon!

No comments: