Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

This was the first year since Daryl and I have been married that we haven't traveled on Thanksgiving. I can't tell you how relaxing it was to avoid this holiday's traffic. The downside was that we didn't get a chance to spend Thanksgiving with either family. The upside was we enjoyed Thanksgiving with friends, some new and some old.

The morning began at Dave and Cec Horn's house where we gathered around 9:00 to go to the annual Myopia Fox Hunt. Our family had never participated in this tradition before, so we were looking forward to the morning. The weather was beautiful; a little cold, but not uncomfortably so. Here are some pictures from the experience.

Hannah was mesmerized by the "Neigh, Neighs." Every time one past us, she was asking for "more, more."

The riders were so regal in their red hunt jackets. The riders in red have be awarded the privilege of wearing the Myopia colors wherever they go to hunt. I'm unclear as to what they need to do in order to receive that honor. No, I have not been given the honor. I'm just wearing my bright red winter coat!
The hounds were so eager to get started. It was amazing to see how responsive they were to the riders on horseback. Well, except for one... I believe his name was Sargeant and he was sniffing around all through the crowd for that fox! At one point, he came over to Hannah (who was sitting in the grass and leaves) and stood over her like he was protecting her. (Didn't get my camera out in time for that one.) After he did more nosing around, he took off over the meadow. Guess he found the fox!
Hannah got a great view from on top of Daddy's shoulders!

And they're off! The first thing all the riders do, is jump over a stone wall and a wooden fence. Unfortunately, one of the first riders (I believe it is the fourth rider from the left) fell as his horse was jumping the wooden fence... an older gentleman who appeared to land on his shoulder/head. He didn't get up and they needed to call in a backboard. The rest of the riders were directed around this jump. Not a great start to the hunt! We read on the Myopia website later, that he is a little bruised, but should be fine. It didn't appear so minor when we were there!

As we were leaving, we past a fox in a neighboring field. He didn't seem too worried about the hunt!

After the hunt, we went home to bake the Squash Casserole and then back to Dave and Cec's for a DELICIOUS Thanksgiving meal. I wish I would have taken more pictures of the table and food. We very much enjoyed ourselves. The following picture is of Hannah and Timmy Rosell, enjoying their Minnesota Maple Cookies.
Thank you, Dave and Cec, for inviting us to be a part of your Thanksgiving meal. We enjoyed the food and great fellowship!

2 comments:

krista said...

What a fun day! I'm glad you were able to make some new memories.

Though we never had to travel as far as you guys, I can really relate to the joy of avoiding holiday traffic...especially once you have kiddos and have to pack what seems to be everything but the kitchen sink! :o)

Anonymous said...

Wow! A fox hunt! Well, la-ti-da!

Sounds like a lot of fun, guys. But not as much fun as driving to Baltimore with an 8-month-old. We are now able to set up or break down a Pack-N-Play in the dark, without waking the other babies sleeping in the same room.