Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas Tree and Birthdays

We have a Christmas Tree!! For the first time since Daryl and I were married, we got a Christmas tree. For the first four Christmases we were just too lazy, too busy or not really here to enjoy it. This year, a friend told us about a great deal on Christmas trees and we decided to do it "for Hannah" (I think I am getting as much enjoyment out of it as she is... if not more!)


I have always been a white lights girl (ask my roommate Kimmy), but colored lights are SO MUCH more fun (you were right, Kimmy)! (We have our white lights on the deck.)

It was great to pull out all my ornaments. My mom started giving my brother and I ornaments every Christmas for years. She did it so that we would have ornaments for our trees when we left home. Often times she would get something that had a special significance for that year. I have stuff from the 80's, including a squirrel in honor of "Raggedy Squirrel" who was the main character in many of the children's stories that I heard in my childhood church. There is a wooden bear from my sixth grade teacher, Miss Martin. There are dog ornaments in honor of the year we got Taursa (our dog) and in memory of her the year she died. Beautiful beaded balls from "Ten Thousand Villages." They are in GREAT condition, because my mom really took care of them. I think I might start this tradition with Hannah. I wonder if she will be as nostagic as her mommy?


Hannah loves finding the snowmen on the tree and in the neighborhood. Up the street there are several blow up snowmen that play music. She asks to go see "snowmans... dance." In that same yard is a Navity Scene (we have several at home too). We have been talking about Christmas being Jesus' birthday. So she sings "Happy...Jees."

In addition to talking about Jesus' birthday, she has been talking a lot about her friend Ava Bailey's birthday. She didn't attend the party (it was in Tennessee), but I showed her the pictures online. So now she makes a birthday cake for Ava. Here is a picture of the cake. The second picture is her blowing out the candle:-). Happy Birthday (again), Ava!

7 comments:

Joyce E. Hess said...

After your lovely christmas tree pictures and down memory lane w/ the "well kept" ornaments...I'm feeling a twinge of renewed spirit for this season!! So thanks to the Olson family there is hope here in decatur, ga
Love,
Mom

krista said...

What a great tradition! So far my trees have looked pretty much the same every year, but I like the idea of picking ornaments that are special to that year.

I've been inspired by reading through my bloglist to maybe post some pics of how we've decorated this year. I admit though, I'm still a white lights only girl. :o)

Maureen and Jon said...

I love that tradition! I still haven't had a chance to see the ornaments that Jon has received over the years. Maybe we'll decorate our Ficus tree this year. :)

jonnyangel said...

The planting of the star or angel is my favorite memory...what a precarious task, rife with adventure and shenanigans! I certainly have had a few collisions with the tree and scrapes and bruises, but so rewarding to see the completed tree in the end!
Glad to see you are embracing a family tradition!

The Olsons said...

Thanks for the comments. I love to read them and know that others are reading my blog. I must ask... who are you jonnyangel?

jonnyangel said...

Well I'm your brother of course...were you thrown off by the "Jonny" or the "Angel" part?!

The Olsons said...

Oh... of course you are my brother... I should have guessed from the joNny part. Have to admit I was a bit thrown. Thanks for posting!

Dana