Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My Challenge

It has been so long since I have posted. SO MUCH has gone on in our lives since we returned from North Carolina, including a trip to North Dakota. I have pictures to post and stories to tell, but that will have to wait until later.

I am challenging myself to find 5 vegetarian recipes over the next month that my meat-loving husband (and meat-loving me for that matter) will deem "keepers" to our monthly menus. Why am I doing this? To be more healthy? Maybe. To perhaps save money? Always a good thing. In reality? I just need a challenge to get out of my menu planning rut and after a girls night out discussion with some friends, this seemed like a good way to go.

So, if you can help, that would be great. Daryl has even agreed to try a tofu recipe and I don't have to tell him it is tofu. If you have a vegetarian recipe that your family just LOVES, send it my way. It would be greatly appreciated.

I'll keep you posted on the status. The month begins... now.

3 comments:

Juliette said...

Oh I have one! (and you've reminded me to make it again) The recipe is pretty simple:

Grab your favorite pancake recipe, omit the sugar/vanilla, and add more liquid to make super thin pancakes (we're going for something like crepes, but a tad thicker). Make a stack of platter-sized 'pancakes' and keep them warm in the oven. You've now succeeded in making what a typical German calls a pancake except it has far fewer eggs in it (don't ask).

Then I usually just microwave a box of creamed spinach (I know, but go with me!) and/or just sautee up some mushrooms/tomatoes, etc.

Everybody starts with a pancake, scoops in their choice of filler, folds it in half and eats up! Nice with a side salad.

Super easy, super cheap, and I can imagine kids liking the process involved at the table. Stefan's mom makes this often for a quick dinner, but I don't think it's particularly 'German' =P

krista said...

This is a wonderful challenge that I could use too. Will you share some of your findings with us later?

Here is one of my favorite vegetarian soup recipes, MINESTRONE, good for when the weather turns cool. Technically, you would need to use vegetable based broth, but shhhhh...I use chicken and I sleep okay at night. :o)

http://cornrowsandmeadows.blogspot.com/2009/10/savory.html

You can substitute tomato juice for the V8, as well as play with the ratios of broth to juice. However, if using tomato juice, omit the paste. (Oh, and in the recipe when I mention 2 cans of V8, they are soda can size.)

I second the "crepe" idea. I have a recipe on my blog for that too if you want the traditional thing. Just look through my recipe box tag.

Maureen and Jon said...

I've been meaning to pass on this recipe for a super easy, lots of flavor, healthy polenta and veggie bake...
1 onion
3 small zucchini
1 red pepper
1 tbs olive oil
4 garlic cloves, diced
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups corn
1 can black beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tsp fresh thyme
1/4 - 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
18 ounce packaged polenta log
2 cups romano cheese
cooked spinach (optional)

Chop onion, zucchini, and pepper. Heat oil in large pan. Saute onion and garlic with 1/2 tsp salt for about 2 minutes. Add zucchini and red pepper, and saute for 3 min.

Add corn, black beans, tomatoes, thyme, chili powder, cumin, pepper, and remaining salt; simmer for 5 min, stirring frequently.

While veggies are cooking, lightly oil bottom of casserole dish. Slice polenta into 1/2 inch rounds and arrange accross bottom of dish. When veggies are cooked (but not soft), spoon across top of polenta.

Top with cheese and bake @350, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Serve plain, on a bed of spinach, or with tortilla chips.