Saturday, October 2, 2010

Weaning, Walking and Waterworks

It is time for an update about my little growing-like-a-weed baby, who is no longer a baby, but a full-fledged toddler. It seemed to happen overnight and yet we watched it happen... feeding after feeding... step after step.

Friday, a week ago, was Gracie's last nursing session. We had gotten down to one a day, just when she got up in the morning. On Thursday, Gracie slept in until 7:00. I actually had a chance to get up and start the day alone. It was very nice. During that time, I just got the sense that I needed to offer her a cup of milk instead of nursing her when she got up. I knew I only had a couple days before leaving on a trip that would take me away from her for 3 days. I figured it would be easier on Daryl if I weaned her before I left instead of using the trip to wean her. Anyway, when she got up I offered her the cup and she took it, no questions asked:-). Wow, I thought, that was easier than I expected. Well, Friday came and Daryl went to get her with a cup a milk. That was a no go. She demanded me and when I took her, she made it very clear that she wanted to nurse. I didn't have the heart to refuse her. On Saturday, we tried the milk again and although she didn't want it, she also didn't demand to be nursed. I left on Sunday and Daryl didn't have much of a problem distracting her from the fact I wasn't there.

So, I figured, we were done. By the time I got back, I thought she would have forgotten. I was WRONG!!! The first two mornings I was back, she was very upset and wanted to nurse. I actually let her try one morning, and as I expected, it just made her frustrated and more upset because she didn't get anything. At this point I burst into tears and was very grateful that Daryl hadn't left for work, because I needed him to take her and distract her while I grieved. I felt like I had pushed her to grow up too fast. She was just one month over a year and right in the middle of teething. The one thing that provided her comfort was ripped from her... ok, I'm being a little dramatic, but at the moment that's what it felt like to me. I was feeling like I was especially selfish just because I wanted to get away for a while and I wanted to have a break before beginning to nurse again in February. Deep breath... I think she has forgiven me already and I guess I'm ready to forgive myself.

So in addition to weaning, Gracie has begun to walk. It seems like it has been a dramatic change because just in the couple days since I was gone, she has changed from crawling with a couple steps thrown in to walking with a couple crawls. It started right around her birthday when she received a Fisher Price stroller that she can stand behind and walk without help. Then it progressed to walking between the futon and loveseat without encouragement. Now she it toddling all over the house. Daryl jokes that she finally figured out that her knees bend. Those early steps are so stiff legged.

Finally, her teeth are coming through with a vengeance. She has 4, 2 top and 2 bottom, but it seems like all the rest are trying to push through at the same time. I never really needed to use a bib with Hannah to catch the drool, but Gracie sure needs one these days. Today is the first day since I have been home that her sweet personality is back. The first day I was home from my mini-vacation, I didn't think we would survive... she cried and cried and cried. Poor girl... poor mommy!

I want to get some video of her walking and I will post it as soon as I do. I also want to share about the great time I had with my mom, my aunts and some of my cousins in Delaware... a girls (over 20) only vacation! Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures, but I am hoping to "steal" some from my cousins or aunts.

1 comment:

krista said...

Growing pains for both little and "big" girls. Glad things are working themselves out.

I'm so SO glad we could have you (and your mama) with us! It did my heart/soul good! What is it that when we take time for ourselves, we mothers feel guilty?!

Would you believe I took 1 picture? ONE.