So we didn't quite expect to have 2 first days of kindergarten, but sometimes you just have to go with whatever life throws at you. For those of you who don't know the story... here it is in brief. Daryl and I chose to send Hannah to a charter school in Gloucester... it was only starting its 3rd year, but we like the community and arts emphasis, the warmth of the staff we met, the size of the school and an educational vision that focused on the strengths of the individual learner. What we did NOT realize was the weaknesses the board had in actually following through with that vision... unfortunately they were not able to smooth out the rough edges and the state board of education threatened to withdraw the charter of the school (forcing the board to give up that charter), which meant the school no longer was eligible for state funding after June.
Unfortunately, (another area we didn't ask the right questions about) the school was unable to fund its program through the end of the year and during the Christmas break, we received an email alerting us to the fact that we would need to make a decision about where to send Hannah in 2 months... no, 1 week... no, 3 days time.
We decided to send her to our "catchment" school in the City of Gloucester and they administration and teachers have been very kind and accommodating. We realize that it isn't an easy thing to absorb almost 100 students into a school system mid-year, but we have appreciated the welcome we have received.
So on January 10, 2013, Hannah has her 2nd first day of kindergarten.
These pictures were all taken in September, but I realized I never put them on the blog. Since this will eventually need to be the girls scrapbooks, I thought I should probably include them. Hannah has changed from these pictures, so I should really get some updated pictures of her going to school.
Hannah is doing well at her new school. Her best friend from the charter school is in her class (thanks to the wonderful principals at the charter and her new school!). We are very thankful for that!




1 comment:
I just can't believe you're lucky enough to live in Gloucester! My sister lived there for a number of years back in the 90's, and a couple of times we had sister weekends at her place. Oh, the grand times we had! Do they still have the draw bridge? One especially sweet memory I have is of having a picnic near the water where there was a lovely gazebo on a hill. We stood in the gazebo overlooking the water and sang "How Great Thou Art" in 3-part harmony. It was a holy moment.
Post a Comment