Tuesday, February 12, 2013

"Nemo" 2013

Well, the sun is out, the snow piles along the streets are turning into mushy, icy, dirty mess, so there are still plenty of reminders of this past weekend's storm. Hannah missed two days of school, so we had a four day weekend. We were going a bit stir crazy by the end, although we did get out in the snow a bit.

Around 11:00 on Friday morning, the first flakes started to fall. Here in Gloucester the temperature was hovering just at or above the freezing mark, so the snow didn't lay in the streets right away. The plows were out in force keep any bit of slush pushed back.

View of our backyard off our back deck... looks a little trashy back there... maybe some snow will help.

Our back deck
 By mid- to late afternoon, the snow really hadn't picked up very much. I must admit I was starting to doubt. Perhaps the "historic storm" was going to fizzle?
Back deck around 3:30 or so

The snow was starting to pile on the streets
The girls decided we needed to have a tea party ~ so tea and brownies it was (yeah, we pretty much stayed in our PJs).

The girls caught Nemo and were dragging him around the house. The noise inside sounded a lot like the snow plows outside!

I think Nemo "caught" us. Just before Daryl and I went to bed, I took this picture out our back door.

This is what the view looked like out our backdoor when we woke up the next morning. So much for the "fizzle" theory!
Our neighbor across the street... their side of the street got the snowdrifts. The front side of our house wasn't so bad.
This street comes right down to the front of our house. As you see, it hasn't been plowed yet, when it was...
A lot the snow from the previous pictures ended up in front of our house!
Hannah and Grace came outside with me for a little bit on Saturday... it was still REALLY windy and still snowing.

The steps down to our backyard was an huge snowdrift. We slid down it to get into the backyard. (Daryl cleared it out on Sunday.)
Grace and Hannah in the backyard.

Hannah "swimming" through the snow. This is the same place the turned over trashcan was in the earlier picture. Looks a little nicer, eh?
I don't have a picture of it, but Hannah and I climbed to the top of Beacon Street hill on Saturday afternoon. The cars were still banned from the streets and the streets still had a bit of snow on them. Twice we slid down the hill. That was fun! She would have kept doing it, but I was feeling self-conscious of the neighbors watching me unable to steer the sled. Next time... I'm just going to enjoy myself.

So we survived the Blizzard of 2013... no power lost, just a few tempers (as this came at the end of 3 consecutive weeks of illnesses)... Today the temperature is almost 50! cRazy!

No comments: