Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Random Gratitude

So, I have not been consistent with posting 10 things I am grateful for each day. I am missing a day here and there, or dayS, but I feel as though overall my attitude is improving and that, my friends, is the point.

Today, my gratitude jumps all over the place.

1. A DELICIOUS new recipe!

It was with a bit of fear and trepidation that I made a new recipe last night. The strikes against it were 1. it was vegetarian... dangerous territory for Daryl, 2. it had pomatoes (tomatoes)... Elizabeth is not a fan 3. it had lentils... which is a little too "beanlike" for Gracie.  What was I thinking?!?! I am so glad that I risked the displeasure of my family, because it was YUMMY. Grace and Elizabeth tolerated it more than some things. Daryl and Hannah went back for more. When I first saw how much it made, I thought I might be choking it down for days/weeks even. All we had left was enough for a serving for my friend and one for lunch for me today. Yippee!

Lentil Bolgnese

2. Binge Reading

I have found when I am burnt out and running on fumes what I want to do is binge read. Not on anything that will make me think too hard or challenge me out of my status quo, but on the safe predictability of Christian Fiction. Where the girl always gets her man; where no mountain is too high for love to overcome; where no matter how bad it looks in the middle; good wins, love wins, and the faith of the characters is strengthened.

During the past 2 months, I have devoured several, maybe dozens (I know, when I say binge, I mean binge) of these books. I am very grateful for inter library loan. I have discovered a couple "new to me" authors that I hadn't read before. With the added bonus that many of them have written series of books and I didn't need to wait a year for the next one to come out. While the plots are often predictable, I enjoy finding authors who have found a way to put their own style/twist on the story.

3. Interlibrary loan (see above)

4. Thought-provoking books

Now that I am feeling a little more fueled up, I have found the energy to dive into different books. The latest book I just finished is Family on Mission. It was written by Mike and Sally Breen, and it has spoken to a cry of my heart. I have asked Daryl to read it and I am looking forward to how the ideas in the book may play out in our family.

5. Friends who ask for help

I have trouble asking other people for help, but it is especially hard when I feel like I am always the one doing the asking. I am so grateful when I get to do something for someone else BECAUSE THEY ASKED!

6. Opportunities to volunteer in the girls' school

For the last three years, I have gotten the chance to help out in Hannah's classroom and school. This fall I have really pulled back from everything, because I felt like I needed to gain a little perspective again. I am so grateful that when I was ready to step back in, all I received was positive encouragement!

7. Solo Piano Music

Because I can thanks to P*andora.

8. Two little girls dressing up and playing baby

Because they play so well together.

9. Spanish afterschool

Both Hannah and Grace have been able to take advantage of the Spanish program they offer afterschool. It is fun to hear them teaching what they learn to their sister. The other day as we were driving around they were counting in Spanish over and over and over again.

10. Day at home

This has been a good morning to get some things done around the house. Since Elizabeth has a playmate, it was been easy to do.

No comments: