Sunday, July 10, 2011

Porch Garden

I'm trying a new hobby this summer... porch gardening. Several of our friends have joined a backyard growers association and planted gardens in raised beds (this is recommended in this area because of the high lead content in the soil from all the old homes). We have NO backyard, but my wonderful husband was inspired to build several planter boxes and into them we planted our garden. It is our first year and we are learning about what plants grow best where on the porch, BUT we are very excited about our little harvest. I'm not sure who is more excited... me or the kids:-).

Argula spouting earlier this summer

Spinach sprouting earlier this summer

Broccoli and Kale seedings ("cheated" a bit on this one)

Lettuce and Kale seedings (already we have been eating the lettuce in our sandwiches)

Carrots sprouting

Baby carrot "thinned" from the bed

Sugar Peas (this was not a great location for the peas, but we are still getting some)
Sugar Peas!

1 comment:

krista said...

Yay! I think this is great!

I've never grown anything from seed here--just helped plant in mom and dad's garden.

We have a tomato plant and it's been hard keeping Adam from picking the little green tomatoes before they can mature.

Involving kids in the process gets them more excited to eat veggies though!