Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What is my name?

Hannah has been going through a phase recently that I'm curious if other moms and dads have experienced with their 2 year old. For the longest time (long in the "she's only 2" sense), Hannah has been calling Daryl and I... daddy and mommy. These were the names she settled on after the early babbling of mamamamama... dadadadad. About 2 weeks ago, she started calling me mama. It was kind of sweet and I was getting used to that name. Then several days ago I became mom. I feel like I have a teenager all the sudden. Last night, she cried out because she had lost her sippy cup and Daryl went to help her. After he found the cup, she said, "Bye, dad!" I don't know these names just sound so grown up to be coming out of the mouth of our toddler.

So for others out there, when did your kids settle on a name for you?

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

In my house I get called "Mommy", "Mom", "Rebecca" and "Becca". Greg is called a similar set of names with the addition of "Daddy Dad".

krista said...

I hear ya...it's strange the first time they switch to just "Mom" or "Dad". Most of the time I'm "Mommy" or "Mama" and Pete is "Daddy" or "Tata" (the second of those each being the common Polish terms). Every now and then though Natalia gets lazy and called each of us interchangeably, "Dah-ma", to which I say, "um, what's my name?"

The wierdest thing was when my bro-in-law was visiting and he asked what her mommy's name was (to be silly) and she said, "Krista". THAT WAS STRANGE!

Heidi said...

My girls switch between mommy, mama and mom depending on their moods, their needs and the situation. I love it when Macy calls me "Mama!" But my name changes on a daily/hourly basis.